Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Devil Flu....

As fun as Thanksgiving was the week following was HELL. It all started Friday morning. When I went into Mac's room to get him up I noticed he has thrown up all over himself and his crib. It wasn't a LARGE amount so I fed him and 10 minutes later he did it again. This continued all day Friday and Saturday. Just as I was thinking it was passing he would get sick again. I called the doctor Saturday morning and they told me as long as he is having wet diapers not to worry. It was probably a virus and it could last up to 10 DAYS!!! Honestly at this point I just figured it would pass and all would be fine. Well Saturday afternoon it hit Grant. I was at Micheal's buying Christmas decorations when he called and told me I needed to get home. About an hour after I got home it hit me. All 3 of us sick at one time...AWFUL. I could barely take care of myself so taking care of Mac took everything we had left. At this point Mac wasn't eating or drinking. We couldn't get him to keep down pedialite and we noticed that he wasn't wetting his diapers and he was crying with no tears. I called the on call nurse at Children's around 2am and we were told to bring him in immediately. Long story short getting him to the hospital was the toughest part. Grant and I both were so sick. Once we got there they decided they were going to go ahead and put in a line to take blood and just in case he needed fluids they wouldn't have to stick him again. They couldn't get it after 3 tries so they pricked his foot to test his levels. He wasn't dehydrated yet but was VERY CLOSE so they decided to go ahead and give him fluids. Thankfully they got his line started this time on the first try so all in all he was poked 5 times...I felt so bad for my baby!!!! The staff at Children's was AMAZING! They told us we looked so bad and they felt sorry for us so they pulled in an extra bed in Mac's room so we could sleep while he was getting his fluids. After 6 long hours in the ER we were released to go home. I thought the battle was over. We all three slept for 5 hours once we got home. Grant and I were feeling better compared to how we felt but we were still not anywhere close to 100%. Neither one of us was feeling well enough to go to work so we stayed home. Mac was still throwing up and I was getting worried. Finally on Tuesday I called the doctor and told them I needed to bring him in that I was worried he wasn't eating and I was nervous about his weight. Well call it mother's instinct but I was correct. He had lost 1lb and 6 ounces. They sent me home with two medicines and I had to bring him back two days later for a weight check. The anti nausea medicine was working but he was still only eating 2-4 ounces at a time compared to the 8 he was eating before he got sick. When I took him back on Thursday he had only gained 2 ounces. I was told to bring him back on Monday for another weight check. He gained another 2 ounces and they sent me home with reflux medicine. At this point he was done throwing up and the doctors were happy with his 4oz weight gain. I'm taking him back one more time this upcoming Friday for a final weight check. With all of this sickness with Mac and myself my supply was shot. We ended up having to give Mac a few ounces of Formula on 12/7. As sad as it made me I'm happy that he is gaining weight. I'm hoping for a happy and healthy December!!

Here is my sweet boy before hey started poking him!

This is a terrible picture but he was so sleepy once they gave him the fluids that he slept on my chest the entire time.


As thankful as I am for everyone at Children's I hope I never have to go there again! Thankfully the Macster is back to his cheerful fat little self and we couldn't be happier!!

CLC

No comments:

Post a Comment